Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Yoga is fun!

So, the last few weeks, I've been doing a few minutes of yoga everyday with a handy little app on my tablet. I've almost done all the free sessions that are available. I've read a bit online about yoga. I've just felt where I've never taken a class, I really can't do it on my own. Well, then I started researching it on Pinterest. If utilized properly, Pinterest can be pretty powerful. Hahaha. It's true. I've found so many answers and dinners on Pinterest than any recipe book.

I started searching yoga sequences. Today, I did one. I did the second to last session on my tablet, then I put on some yoga music (from another app) and followed a yoga sequence that was posted on Pinterest. Afterwards, I spent a few minutes meditating. Wow! I see what all the hype is about.

I want a form of exercise that is more that just running, which I actually quite enjoy doing. I just don't like running in the freezing cold weather. I've also been walking to campus with a huge laptop and thick textbook in my backpack. So, I've been experienceing some back/shoulder/neck pain as well. I did some yoga and meditation, and I feel so relaxed.

By the end of my short little yoga session, I was sweating. It was a good workout. My arms have never been very strong, but there are a lot of yoga poses that can strengthen your arms. My legs have always pretty strong, but the muscles are so tight, I can't stretch very far or well...at all. My muscles are so tight, but I've been gently pushing myself to become more flexible.

I have a goal to keep doing yoga, to gain flexibility in my legs and strengthen my core this year. I've always has a "few extra pounds" on my body. I didn't really lose my baby fat, until the last year. Jezz, I know. Even in my senior year, I still had chubby cheeks.

One thing I'm thankful for, is my experience in marching band. I did two years of it and I learned discipline and endurance. I know what it feels like to be so exhausted that you feel like you can't move, and then have to "take it back again" for the millionth time.  Even 4+ years later, those lessons are still with me. So, when I'm doing a yoga pose, or even just a plank that is really wearing me down, I just hold it longer.




I found this on Pinterest and smiled. I know exactly how this feels and it's my past experience with this feeling that keeps me going on. I found that planks really work the core. No, not the planks that were popular a few years ago, were you just lay flat. The kind of plank I'm talking about is when you put your elbows and hands on the ground, keep your body straight and push on your toes. 



Hold this for a minute. Feel the burn. There are lots of varieties. This also strengthens your arms as well. I love being able to work out in my own little apartment. Want to see the sequence I did today? I was kind of clumsy my first time, but I can feel its going to get better. 



(I got this off of Pinterest, not my own design). Give it a shot! 


This, was fun. It tested my flexibility and I really worked on my breathing technique, well until about half way, because then I was pretty tired. Once I get familiar with the different poses, my practice will go a lot smoother. 

While doing research on yoga, I found this website called Yoga Basics. If you're interested in learning more about yoga. Give it a look. There is a ton of material! I found it helpful. 

Afterwards, I meditated. Simply, that's quieting the mind for a few minutes. We spend so much time in a loud environment, with so many things calling for our attention along with the stresses of life. It's important to meditate and quite our mind for a little bit each day. I could tell a difference afterwards. 

Anyway, yoga has some amazing benefits and I've decided to go on a journey that I don't think I'll regret. :) 


Try something new today.

- SamiMae







No comments:

Post a Comment