Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Benefits of Yoga

I've been doing yoga now for quite a few weeks. Probably since the start of the new year. I've seen so many benefits of my daily practice. It's incredible. I had done a bit of studying of yoga, and didn't understand how someone could get the benefits I read about. Here are just some of the benefits I've enjoyed from doing yoga.

1. Increased flexibility. I never thought I could be as flexible as I am now. It feels so good to wake up in the morning and stretch. It helps me wake up. My muscles feel healthy when I stretch. I read somewhere that stretching is good for you because it breaks up the amino acids within the muscles and removes the "toxins" from your muscles. I believe it. Also, I've always had some pretty sensitive knots in my back and shoulders. It'd hurt for anyone to touch. (Dad loves to come up from behind and try to give me a shoulder massage when I appear stressed, it usually hurt to bad, I'd drop to the floor to try to get away. lol). Stretching has removed the knots in my back. It's amazing. I don't feel near as sore!


2. Weight loss. I've always been pretty sensitive about my weight. I was never a skinny kid growing up, and my "baby fat" didn't leave me until about the time I got marred (at 20 years old). Doing yoga every morning gets my body moving and gives me my exercise. I've lost weight. (Don't know how much, we don't have a scale). But I can tell by the way I look and how my clothes fit, and how often times I have to cinch up my belt, the weight is leaving. :)

3. Appetite control. When I do yoga in the mornings, I feel less inclined to overeat, munch, gorge, graze and less inclined to go searching for the Nutella (cursed goodness). Actually, I'm hungry more often. (Normally I could eat at 10 am, and 5 pm and be just perfect). Now, I'm eating 3 meals a day, but they are smaller and healthier. I'm finding that my body is processing my food at a faster pace than before. I'm no longer craving sugars, instead I'm looking for fruits or veggies. Yoga has done a great job of regulating my appetite and cravings.

4. Increased energy. Yes, I have more energy each day from doing yoga. (Well, on the days I don't repetitively hit my alarm). I'm not dozing off every 15 minutes, or conking out for 30 minutes at a time. I don't feel sluggish and slow. Yoga has been an awesome way to jump start my day. Because I'm a night owl type of person, as the day goes on my energy only increases. (usually). This has been very nice. I've kind of always struggled with fatigue for one reason or another (once upon a time, I had mono), but yoga has really helped!

5. Increased strengths. This has been really cool! My legs have always been pretty strong, I did marching band in high school and that helped. My arms and abs however, have been pathetic. The more time I've spent doing yoga, the more strength I've gained in these weak areas. I can do a full plank for over 30 seconds now! A few months ago, I was dying after 5 seconds. It's been so exhilarating to see my strength increase. I'm not interested in body building or lifting weights, but I am pretty passionate about being able to hold and manage my own body weight. (I'm working on holding a handstand!).

6. Toned tummy and arms. My heck, I can feel my abs! Check out my muscles! I've never been able to say that until now. Mwahahaha. My efforts are paying off. Under the little bit of pudge still there on my belly, I have abs! Each day I do some ab exercise. Not a whole lot, but enough to really feel it. I can now hold my legs up off the ground a few inches (whilst laying on my back,) for 30 seconds! My arm muscles have been what I've just recently started working on, but my arms don't jiggle as much. (no bingo wings for me, HA!) You can see a clear line on my arm muscles. It's stinking awesome. I love it.

7. Better attitude. I've always thought I've just naturally had a "negative" attitude that I have to constantly work on to be positive. So many times it seemed so hard, and it was just instinct to be negative. Sometimes I'd just blame it on my "pessimistic personality". (But in reality it's just my realist attitude, hahaha). Often times, I've apologized to Trevor for my overall negativity. The healthier I've become through eating and exercise, the more positive I've become. My disposition has changed to positive and happy! It's a relief to know I don't have some kind of harsh "defect" by being a negative Nancy all the time. It's a matter of lifestyle and choice, I agree. But, there is an underlying nature that can effect us overall. This can be overcome with exercise and healthy eating.

8. Better posture. This has probably been the biggest blessing and the least expected out of all the benefits. Being a woman, the chest can get heavy, mine is no exception. I've never had great posture, and that little issue doesn't help. I've been pretty aware of my bad posture for quite some time. I couldn't sit with my legs crossed and my back straight for more than just a second before my back got really sore and trembling. I'd have to lean forward and put my arms on my elbows for relief. Heavy backpacks don't help either. My shoulders were always slumped forward and hunched. To stand straight seemed unnatural and almost painful. I just didn't have the back muscles for it. I tried to work on it, but felt it would take my entire life to correct my set-in-stone bad posture. While doing yoga, I didn't know that this could be a benefit. I wasn't expecting it, nor had I noticed until I was driving with my husband to Idaho (we are in Utah). We were about an hour and a half into our drive before I realized. "Trevor! I don't have bad posture!" Normally, I'd hunch over the steering wheel, which is remarkable considering I'm only 5'4 and sit with my chair as far back as it can go. Lo and behold, my back had been straight the whole drive and I wasn't even tired! I felt just fine in fact!

Since that time, I've noticed it continually. I have the strength in my shoulders and back to support the weight of my own body. It's been a HUGE blessing and a large confidence booster. One thing I've learned during my yoga experience, is that our bodies are smart. They know the proper health they should be in. If our bodies are given the proper environment and circumstances they will heal themselves. Our bodies know what to do to heal and get back to their proper frame. This means, proper posture, healthy weight, regulated appetite, etc.

I've had to give my body the proper environment and circumstances to get it on it's way to healing. I've had to exercise and eat healthy. Both of these are very important. The different parts of my body that I exercise and stretch receive increased health. Food plays a large part in our weight, energy and appetite. It's not hard to eat healthy. You are what you eat. Don't be cheap, or processed. Grab an apple and a yoga mat! It's by far easier and cheaper to be healthy in little ways every day, then have to pay for it in the long run with medical bills and a worn out body.

I feel incredible. I look better than ever. My days are amazing. Life is great, and as the Lego movie shows: EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Grab a yoga mat and experience these awesome benefits for yourself!

- SamiMae




No comments:

Post a Comment